Trigger dashboard page refresh from workflow

I’d like to see if it’s possible to synchronize dashboard page refresh to match when new data is available via a device state update.

Currently the dashboard refresh is based on a fixed timer in the dashboard settings but that often causes a mismatch in the gauge “N minutes ago” indicators relative to when new data is received from the field polling.

Is there a way to do that?

Hi Paul,

There is currently not a way to do this in the dashboard, as the refresh time must be explicitly set in dashboard settings. However, I will make a ticket with our engineers for this functionality if you would like :smile:

Thanks!
Julia

@JuliaKempf Yes that might be a good feature suggestion.

For clarification I was referring to experience pages. Thinking if that wouldn’t it at least be possible to automatically refresh the page based on some client side JavaScript?

Hi Paul,

I suppose it could be done, though I have not tried it and it may be a bit difficult. However, I could see a way around if you were to use live stream data blocks. I will create a ticket for this with our engineers and let you know should it be implemented.

Thanks!
Julia

@JuliaKempf Actually the livestream might be interesting.

The only downside is on the initial load it will show “waiting for data”. How about a way to force the state to update on that initial load and then let the live stream take over?

Hi @paul_wareham,

This is not something that is currently possible. But, what I can do is add a feature request for this. I think there may be a similar one from a previous question you asked a while ago.

@anaptfox How about using the workflow that backs the experience page and then just after the endpoint reply node go ahead and trigger a gauge query for the last value which would then be fed to a state update node?

@paul_wareham,

In theory, that could work but it would be very uncertain depending on many factors like network speed. But, you couldn’t do a Gauge Query, you’d have to actually report state. Also, if the device is truly sending state, you’d be sending fake data that could mess up aggregations. Unfortunately, there is not an easy workaround to accomplish what you’re currently trying to do.