Timeseries graph resolution issue

Hey,

I’ll list the steps I followed to simulate:

• I reported some states using workflow to simulate past data;
  • After that, I checked in Data Explorer that the time value was different from what I reported. That’s ok… I understand that the date was interpretated as GMT and Device Explorer converted the time based on my local timezone (UTC -3);
  • In timeseries graph, if I set the Duration Resolution to less or equal to 6 hours, it prints the values like in Data Explorer. But if the resolution is higher than that, it seems to loose my timezone.

Data Explorer:

Aggregation: Count - Resolution 6hrs

Aggregation: Count - Resolution 24hrs

Thanks in advance!
Bruno

Hi @Bruno_Matheus_Warmli !

The date/time shown when hovering over a data point represents the start date/time.

Since you’re using count aggregation

In your first example, using 6 hour resolution, it displays Jan 1 2023 03:00:00 with a value of 1 because only 1 data point was reported between Jan 1 2023 03:00:00 - 08:59:59.

In your second screenshot, using a 24 hour resolution, it displays 12/31 21:00:00 with a value of 5 because 5 data points were reported between Dec 31 2022 21:00:00 - Jan 1 2023 20:59:59.

The reason the start times are, say, 21:00:00 rather than 00:00:00 is because of the timezone set in your browser, which is presumably UTC -03:00:00.

Let me know if this answers your question!

Hey Sebastian,

Thank you for your comment.
I was thinking it might be something like that. But I think it should consider the time zone.
We have customers, for example, who use a time series chart to see how many items were processed per day in a month. And it should be considering 0:00 - 23:59 of the customer’s time zone to comply with their analysis.

Regards,
Bruno

1 Like

I’m facing the same issue here, for a costumer analysing a maximum value for each day of the month.
I have a device that already reports timestamps in UTC-3, so when I use a 24h resolution in any dashboard block, it essentially shows the wrong data.
My team found some workarounds with custom charts, but to use “Time Series Graph” block correctly, I believe there’s no easy solution.

1 Like

I also tried using the default blocks. I needed to get our customer’s daily output.

See my picture, the production made on July 4th was 20 pieces.
And the standard “Device State Table” block is showing exactly this value on this date.

But, when I use a “Time Series Chart” with this same information, using resolution 24h, we can see that this value was calculated for a day before (07/03).

For me, the best thing about the Losant Platform is the “friendly” way of doing things.

We want to use standard blocks. We don’t want to do everything in html, (like other platforms).

However, due to this issue, we cannot use the standard blocks to provide this simple information to our client.

May I make a suggestion?
Perhaps Losant can create some “global parameter” to adjust the local timezone for all standard blocks?

thank you very much!

Hello, @Sebastian_Turner !

Could you please answer my previous question?

Another suggestion:
Is it possible, similar as the global dashboard timing, to create a global variable to adjust all blocks according to the local timezone?

Hi @Alexandre_Pereira ,

My apologies for not following up on this thread earlier. We have an open feature request to expose a setting that would allow time series resolution to be aligned with a given timezone. I’ve added a +1 to that request.

I don’t have an ETA, but if I have any updates, I’ll be sure to share them here. Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

Hi @Sebastian_Turner !

We are really looking forward to having this feature!

Thank you very much!!