The Things Network and Losant

Has anyone done an integration with Losant the The Things Network? Much appreciated if you could share your details. Thanks

I’ve done a small project using The Things Network and Losant. The sensors were custom, but the same concepts apply to pretty much any LoRa device.

I used this Laird LoRa Gateway: https://connectivity.lairdtech.com/wireless-modules/lorawan-solutions/sentrius-rg1xx-lora-enabled-gateway-wi-fi-bluetooth-ethernet

The gateway has built-in support for The Things Network. I followed all the basic instructions for getting the sensor data to The Things Network backend. I then used their HTTP Integration to send the data to a Losant Webhook.

The Workflow that backs the Webhook then parses the data and saves it using the Device State Node.

Exactly what I was looking for thanks.

Did you do any Losant to LoRaWAN end-device communication, or just handle the uplink traffic?

I did not use any downlink functionality, however the HTTP Integration does also support queuing downlink messages. I would likely use the HTTP Node to invoke that API call whenever downlink data needed to be sent.

I have completed an application with TTN and Losant using MQTT as the means of integration. It works very well. Essentially, every time a LoraWAN (TTN) device reports its state to the device server (TTN) an MQTT message is published. Losant can pick up this MQTT message, via a Losant integration, run a workflow and grab the data from the payload. I have found it to be very reliable, have had a number of nodes running and reporting regularly using this method. There is a fair bit of information in the TTN docs on MQTT and the workflow in Losant uses the standard functions, let me know if you need some further pointers. BTW you will need to set up a payload function in TTN as well to set up the state variables in the payload. Cheers.

3 Likes

OK I see both the Webhook and MQTT workflow triggers. I will give them a try in the next few days. Thank you

Webhook seems to be working fine with both TTN and LoRaServer.

1 Like

Good thread; new to Losant looking to do the same integration with TTN. So @Steve_Barker and @WoobaGooba, did you created an HTTP integration on the TTN side and ’ paired ’ it to a 1) Losant integration 2) Losant Webhook 3) both?

Thanks! j

1 Like

Hi Jose. We completed the integration using MQTT - TTN automatically generates the data via MQTT each time a message is received from a device and it is a matter of configuring Losant to see the MQTT topic and data. No other integration is required, all works via MQTT.

2 Likes

Awesome! Thank you for the info!

HI,
Im new and trying to get Losant connected to TTN , which is the easiest way? any guidence will help or application note? i could not fins anything that i underatand :frowning:

Hi @Bradley_Douglas,

This is going to depend on the protocol supported by your device, I would recommend looking for some documentation on your specific device. Above, the integration is done with MQTT, here is some TTN documentation.

Thanks!
Julia

As discussed above, TTN can integrate with Losant either by using a Webhook or by using MQTT. I’ve been successful with Webhook. With TTN and Losant conencted, the next challenge will be decoding the LoRaWAN payload such that you can process that payload with Losant. Currently this is almost always end-device specific.

2 Likes