Slow map updates

Hi Folks,

I have about 90 devices in one experience view which are being displayed on a dashboard GPS map. It takes about 18 seconds to render the map which I find to be painfully slow.

Wondering if there is anything I can check in order to speed that up?

Paul

Hi Paul,

I am going to look into this further as I was able to replicate a loading speed of about 13 seconds. In the meantime, you can check out a relevant forum post here, as well as the documentation on the GPS History Map. I am going to do some testing to see if the speed can be improved by changing the zoom and other configuration values.

Thanks!
Julia

Thanks Julia,

I didn’t get too much from that forum post. In my application, I don’t really need GPS tracking however, just a static look at the current locations of an entire fleet, if that helps.

Hi Paul,

We took a look at your GPS Map and determined the slow loading speed is due to the amount of attributes each device has, as it increases the number of queries done by the map. The attributes of each device are queried and allow for attribute values to be included in the popup bubble display. This has been logged, and a ticket was filed to allow for selecting only specific attributes to load, which will decrease the load time. I will update you when this feature has been added.

Thanks!
Julia

can you think of a workaround in the meantime?

Hi Paul,

The engineers recommended a couple of options that may help, but it will involve some restructuring. One would be splitting your points into four maps, as it could be faster to load them in parallel. This way, you could also tag them with regions and have a map for each region. A less ideal option would be to create copies of the devices with only the GPS attribute. Unfortunately, neither of these are ideal options, but they would improve loading speed until the permanent fix is in place.

Thanks!
Julia

Yes the workarounds are certainly less than ideal. I don’t like the idea of having separate maps for different groups of assets because it doesn’t scale well with many different customers. Creating duplicate copies with only GPS attributes might be helpful, I’ll have to think about that a bit more.

Is the ticket to allow for selecting only specific attributes to load something that is a short term initiative or should I assume that is potentially a longer time frame thing?

Hey Paul,

That feature is tentatively planned to go out in the next couple of release cycles. Each cycle is 3-5 weeks. If you can wait that long, perfect. We’d hate to have you re-architect when a fix is coming.

i think we can probably wait a bit to avoid the extra work.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @paul_wareham,

The recent Platform Update included an update to the GPS History Block that allows you to select specific attributes from a device, which should improve the loading speed for your maps!

Thanks,
Julia