NB-IOT gateway?

Hi

Have you guys given any thought how you might provide am NBIOT gateway (UDP).

We have started using PYCOM (GPY) with LTE-CAT-M1 (just installed 7 mechanical engines for monitoring via Losant) , but would like to explore the use of NB-IOT as these devices support it as well.

At the moment it would necessitate us running a gateway somewhere to act as a device gateway.

Cheers

Tim

Tim,

We have developed a gateway for UDP to generate Losant Webhooks.

Let me know if you would like to discuss.

Paul

We’ve been brainstorming some techniques for cloud-based raw UDP and TCP endpoints. There’s some tech hurdles we still have to solve (e.g. each application would require a dedicated port, multiplied by thousands of applications), but it’s not impossible.

The next release of our Edge Agent does introduce a UDP trigger, which will at least make the gateway side of things much easier. That release should be out in the next couple of weeks.

We can certainly bring up a hosted UDP gateway for your project. We’ve done similar custom cloud gateways in the past for other customers and protocols. It would be a one-off services engagement with our solutions team to build it up and deploy it. If you want to explore that option, shoot an email and we can dig in more.

Brandon,

Design on our project is finally underway, however, we’ve moved from GPRS (IP) to LTE-M (UDP). So as much as I love MQTT it looks like I’m moving away from it

Was wondering if a UDP gateway solution is yet available from Losant or if you can recommend third-parties to do this?

Thanks

Jason

This isn’t something Losant can handle out of the box. We spent a fair amount of time looking for any managed service that can translate UDP into something we can support, like HTTP(S), but we weren’t able to find anything.

Right now, the best option is to develop your own service to translate UDP into HTTPS to send to a Losant Webhook. The code required to do this, at least in Node.js, isn’t very complicated. I really wish any serverless option existed (Cloudflare Workers, AWS Lambda, etc), but I imagine they run into the same complications we do when offering raw UDP/TCP.

This kind of custom service is something we can certainly help with if you’re interested.