UDP/TCP input nodes

Requesting UDP and TCP input nodes for the workflows, similar to node-red.

This would allow more direct support of non-mqtt based hardware telematics devices.

Edge Workflows do provide a UDP Trigger. TCP is not yet available for the edge, but it’s something we’ll likely be offering in the future. Offering these in Application (cloud) Workflows is an interesting challenge that we’ve been investigating for quite a while.

Node-RED and our Edge Agent run on your own gateway, so exposing TCP and UDP ports is straightforward. Because UDP and TCP require a dedicated IP and port for each and every application and user, providing that in a scaleable and highly available way in the cloud is the challenge.

Hi Brendon

Speaking of edge node triggers :wink: Any signs of the redis subscribe capability on edge ?

T

Well, Another way around that might be too have the Losant Edge Agent on to our own instance of EC2 or other cloud server. I know this is possible with node-red, but I am not sure for the Losant edge. Do you think that is possible @Brandon_Cannaday?

It is absolutely possible and something we’ve done internally. The Edge Agent doesn’t really care if it’s running on a Linux gateway or a Linux VM in the cloud.

1 Like

Wondering if there was any further consideration to doing a TCP node for the Edge?

Hi @paul_wareham,

I know there has been some discussion about the functionality, but I do not know it’s current state or if it was selected for development. I will give a +1 to this feature request, and communicate your interest! I will keep you updated on it’s status as well :smile:

Thanks,
Julia

1 Like

Bump, kindly. Thanks

Hey @emcdee,

I’d like to know more about your TCP protocol. UDP works because messages are divided into datagrams, which is easy to map to individual workflow triggers. A TCP stream is not so easy to automatically delineate.

For example, the Node-RED TCP options are designed to support messages separated by newlines or carriage returns, which could be something we can support.

That would be great - cr/lf separated messages like in a terminal emulator.

Such that you could send simply send/receive ascii via an MQTT node or something on edge workflow.