Introducing Edge Compute

As customers continued to adopt our platform, we noticed a gap in technology that exists between the sensor and the cloud. This gap added time, cost, and difficulty for our customers when adopting their IoT strategies.

With the introduction of Losant Edge Compute, we’ve eliminated this gap to provide a seamless way to deploy intelligence to your edge devices.

More details on the blog:

1 Like

Hi Brandon

Glad to see it out. We will start trialing this next week.

One obvious additional feature - (I know you just waiting for these to come flooding in :wink: would be SNMP (polling) and potentially receive traps. Along with Edge devices we are building remote networks to support them and integrating the network as well as the devices would be very useful.

Thanks for a such a delightful platform.

Cheers

Tim

We hadn’t considered SNMP, but that’s why we love the feedback. As you start working with it, keep it coming!

Thanks Brandon! Does Edge Compute only work with modbus or will it work with additional communication protocols, specifically subGHz and other wireless protocols?

Hi guys, this is really awesome to bring Losant to the edge, congrats on the cutting-edge feature.

Currently I use node-red on some of my gateways to sample the serial and rs232 ports for sensor information. I then structure and send it to Losant via MQTT.

I wonder if I could replace the use of node-red with the edge workflow, currently I don’t see a query serial node in the workflow engine.

I do see the read from file functionality, so potentially I could run a script that sample the serial ports, stores to file and have Losant read from that file and transmit that info, right?

Can you specify to what extent you plan on taking Edge workflows, what’s the scope/domain of this feature?

by the way, so it happens that we have the advantech UTX-3115 gateway, and lucky for us it is one of the supported devices.

p.s

We plan on installing a LoRa miniPCIE card in the gateway, and will need to sample that bus as well for messages.

Directly supported protocols will continue to grow. The next one will likely will be BLE. Sub-GHz protocols like LoRa would a next logical step after that. What’s your use-case?

2 Likes

Our goal over time will be to provide much of the same capability that you can get today with Node-RED. Our first release was targeted specifically at Modbus applications, but we’ll continue to expand. Knowing you’d like to see serial is very helpful feedback!

That’s great to hear.

LoRa will be used to add wireless sensors and relay stations to the solution. BLE will also be very helpful indeed.

Another feature that can come in handy is support to send images to Google ML in base64. Perhaps it is already possible ?

I’m in favour of both BLE (we are doing quite a lot with BT Beacon and Losant IoT) and LoRa. LoRa support doesn’t require Edge Computing when using for example TheThingsNetwork. TTN already has got an execellent MQTT interface which we are using succesfully with Losant for more than a year. An direct integration of Losant IoT with TTN though, would certainly of our interest.

Wow, this is really a major expansion of Losants IoT platform. This will make IIoT use cases a lot easier to support. We will look if we can utilize this Edge Computing extension on RPI based industrial PLCs, including the ones with on board Modbus support. Big thanks to the team. Great work.

Hi

Do you mind sharing a bit about how you are using Losant with BLE Beacons? what device do you use to transmit them to the cloud? What’s some of your use-cases?

Sure, here you go. We are using Kontakt BLE stationary beacons for a Smart Building use case. Both for guiding people as well as determing the daily usage of rooms by people. On the user side there is an App required (and that’s the weak point of it) which uses Proximi.io Beacon middelware SDK. Proximi.io has just like Losant an own version of Node-RED built in. With Proximi_io as middleware, action workflow with events sending out and the custom App on the users device, we can both detect entering and leaving of Geofences. These are defined in the backend of Proximi_io and represent the buildings toplogy. In addition to this we will be offering employee guidance due to BT triangulation.

With just some Web-hooks, we integrated Proximi_io with Losant and all Geofence entering and leaving events are injected into a Losant workflow. We made the data persistent with a CouchDB which is directly driven by the same workflow from Losant.

In a next phase of this development project, we are going to collect the Beacon status data, which can be received by so called Kontakt Gateways, and bring that to a unified IoT Web application drive by Losant.

To make the story complete, we also integrated wireless PIR-sensors, so our customer has the choice using BT Beacons as well as PIR-sensors. Again whith Losant we unified the event stream from different sensor techniques into one room usage data model.