Location Data Reporting in One Dashboard but Not the Other

Hello! I have a user experience that utilizes an overview dashboard that covers all devices communicating and then you can select a device to see individualized information. Both dashboards have a Location block that reports GPS location, but the location of the device is only showing in the individualized dashboard. I use the same code for both blocks, see code below for reference.

{{#gt data.gas_alert 0}} {{! if gas alert is active }}
  {{colorMarker '#ff261b'}}
{{/gt}} {{! END if gas alert is active }}

{{#eq data.gas_alert 0}} {{! if gas alert is not active}}

{{#eq data.device_checked_in 1}} {{! if device has checked in }}

{{#eq data.device_health 'NG'}} {{! if device health = NG}}
      {{colorMarker '#ffff00'}}
    {{/eq}} {{! END if device health = NG}}

{{#ne data.device_health 'NG'}} {{! if device health is not NG}}

{{#eq data.battery_health 'LB'}} {{! if battery health = LB}}
     {{/eq}} {{! END if battery health = LB}}

{{#ne data.battery_health 'LB'}} {{! if battery health is not LB}}

{{#eq data.Status 'End-of-Life'}}
      {{/eq}}
      {{#eq data.Status 'Normal'}}
        {{colorMarker '#8db319'}}
        {{else}}
        {{colorMarker '#8db319'}}
      {{/eq}}

{{/ne}} {{! END if battery health is not LB}}
   {{/ne}} {{! END if device health is not NG}}
  {{/eq}} {{! END if device has checked in}}

{{#ne data.device_checked_in 1}} {{! if device has not checked in }}
  {{/ne}} {{! END if device has not checked in }}

{{/eq}} {{! END if gas alert is not active}}

@Kyle_Wisbrock given the information you’ve provided, here is my best guess:

• Is your overview dashboard making use of an experience user context variable to populate the dashboard with the devices that are associated with the user looking at the dashboard?
  • Is that user a member of any experience groups?
  • If so, do those groups or their children have any devices associated with them?
  • In the endpoint that renders your detail dashboard, are you performing any checks of the given user and device ID to ensure the user should have access to that device (i.e. through a Device: Verify Node)?

My theory is that yes, you are using an experience user context variable to populate the overview dashboard, but the user through which you are currently testing does not have any device associations. And as for the detail dashboard, you are choosing a device ID at random for testing that route, and in that request, you are failing to verify the user <-> device association, which is why it is loading with the device’s data.

Hello @Dylan_Schuster,

Thank you for the feedback. Here is some additional information. The newly added devices are populating the other blocks of the overview dashboard, just not the location block. Of the 49 devices added to this user experience, only the most recent 20 added are not showing up in the location block of the overview dashboard.

The devices shown on the location block of the overview dashboard are selected by {{ctx.experienceUser-0}}, but the individual dashboard location block uses {{ctx.detector-0}}. In addition, the overview dashboard location block is populated from the gps_location device tag, whereas the individual dashboard location block is populated from the Geocode attribute data.

Initially no data was being received in the specific user experience group, but that was because of a setting mistake on my end that was corrected. After fixing this is when I was able to see that the location block was no longer working.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you again for your continued help.

OK, so for a device to appear in your GPS History Block, the following must all be true …

• The device must be returned by the query you provide in the block. I’ll assume you have this correct since you’re using the experience user context variable and the query is working on other blocks.
  • The device must have GPS data stored on it …
    • If using a device attribute to populate the location, has a state report with data for the attribute you’ve configured been received in the duration assigned to the block (last received data point, last 5 minutes, etc.)
    • If using a device tag, is the tag set within the block also set on the devices in question? And if so, is the value of that tag in one of our accepted GPS formats?

@Dylan_Schuster I think I figured it out based upon your feedback. The devices that are reporting GPS location data have the gps_location in the device properties, whereas the latest 20 devices do not. I added this gps_location property to one of the 20 devices and it is now reporting correctly. Thank you for your continued support, always helpful to reach out in the forums!