How to display SQL results on dashboards without storing as attribute?

I am receiving a value from an edge workflow and then I use the SQL node to do a lookup in a MySQL database on AWS. I add the value to the payload but I do not want to store it anywhere in Losant. I just want to display it on a dashboard. thx

@David_MacKenzie,

In order for data to reach the dashboard, it needs to be reported as state on the device or inserted into a Data Table, so you do need to store this information somewhere. Could you provide some more info on what exactly you’re trying to do? What is the value of displaying this data point but not storing it? What does that value represent? But to be clear, the only way to present data within Losant is to store it within Losant.

Since you are already storing the value in question on the payload, the next step would be to modify your workflow to include the Device State output node. If you’d like to send along a screenshot of your current workflow I’d be happy to help you out with the configuration.

Thanks,
@Aidan_Zebertavage

No need to provide anything as I understand the answer. I am trying to figure out best platform/way that combines Losant device data with other systems like CRM/ERP to build end user app. I don’t want to store SQL results every single time a payload/message is received. I know that tags are a way to store info like that. Can tags be updated/created in a workflow?

@David_MacKenzie,

Glad to help - easy answer here is, yes, tags can be created and updated within a workflow. Using the Device Update node would allow you to perform this operation. We’ve seen questions around this before and I would recommend taking a look at the following forum threads:

Maybe I’m unclear on your use case, but creating, updating and managing device tags seems unnecessary if you are already adding the SQL value post-lookup on the payload? Also, tagging is useful for assisting with the organization of your devices but would not be the ideal method for reporting or storing state information.

At this point, you’ve already accessed your database, performed the proper lookup and added the associated value to the payload - so the process of reporting state with this data point included seems to be your most straightforward solution - please let me know if I’m oversimplifying here.

For the data you are accessing in the the AWS database, is this device data, metadata for the devices, or static information about the devices? What kind of integration are you looking for with your CRM/ERP system?

Thanks,
@Aidan_Zebertavage