Domain Name Assignment with GoDaddy

Hi! I would like to request some help with a proper assignment of my 2nd level domain name (myname.domain) on GoDaddy to Losant slug. I tried a few setting variations using Losant Help Doc, but didn’t succeed. This is how my current GoDaddy ManageDNS Page looks like:

Currently my domain name is irresponsive if I go to “myname.domain”. Losant main website opens up if I go “www.myname.domain” Thank you

Hello @Alexander_Kondrov!

I will look into this and get back to you soon with steps toward a solution. :grinning:

Thanks,
Julia

1 Like

Good afternoon @Alexander_Kondrov,

I looked into this and have some items for debugging further.

I will be updating our documentation on this to make it more clear for future users: the reason you might be seeing the Losant home page arise under the “www.myname.domain” URL is if your domain configuration in Losant does not include “www.” If you have “myname.domain” as your domain, it will not expect the “www” prefix so it must be specified.

The second problem is not well documented, and I will be creating some content for it: root domains need an A record (as opposed to CNAME) to our IP address. There is documentation by GoDaddy here on adding an A record. Losant’s IP address is 146.148.110.247.

Let me know how I can help further! :grinning:
Julia

1 Like

Hi Julia,

Thank you for the prompt response. I added WWW to “mydomain.domain” and the link “www.mydomain.domain” started to work properly. At the same time “mydomain.domain” still does not work. I will add A record with Losant’s IP to see if it helps

1 Like

That’s how I added A record:

I will wait 24 h for changes to take effect and will check it again.

Julia, GoDaddy applied changes and now “mydomain.domain” redirects to www.losant.com. “www.mydomain.domain” works properly as I mentioned earlier. Could you help me with the issue of accessing website with a name typed without “www”? Thank you in advance.

Hello @Alexander_Kondrov,

To remedy this, you have two options. The first is to create an additional Experience Domain in Losant without the “www.” prefix, giving you two Losant Experience Domains, “www.mydomain.domain” and “mydomain.domain”. The second option is to redirect within GoDaddy, if they allow it. I have not worked much with them myself on domain assignments, but if they have the redirect functionality, you would redirect someone heading to “www.mydomain.domain” to “my domain.domain,” or vice versa. Both of these options should solve being redirected to the Losant homepage.

Let me know how else I can help, or if this does not solve the redirect!
Julia

Julia, overall I think I made my domain name with and w/o “www” working with Losant planform slug. FYI, there is seems to be no need to use www.losant.com IP address/ create A Record in DNS management. A record is relevant only if Losant provides an IP address directly associated with a full slug address.

1 Like

Hi @JuliaKempf,

My issue is very similar to the above, so I’m ‘piggybacking’ on this thread.

I am having trouble getting a domain added to my Losant experience. I have tried the tips above, including CNAME, A record, a variety of www, or * combinations on the settings. I have hit a brick wall so am writing this post!

Whilst I have multiple domains I have tested with, I will describe my ideal:

Domain is managed on 123reg.co.uk
Domain nameservers are pointed at WIX (where my website is created and hosted)

Currently my domain of: customer.companyname.co.uk directs me to losant.com, and not my experience slug.

I have also tried a customer.companyname.uk setup in case .co.uk is not considered a top level domain.

I have not started to look at HTTPS or SSL yet, baby steps.

If anyone has a working example, I will happily go and buy a new domain name from their domain provider!

Any help would be much appreciated,

Chris

(Ps, Thanks for your support, and the teams support on the forums. I’ve learnt alot!)

Hey, @ChrisGM,

Could you provide an example domain that’s not working? I can take a look to see if I see anything obvious. If you don’t want to post them publicly, I’d be happy to shoot you a DM to share.

Hey @anaptfox,

Happy to DM you an unedited version.

I am having the same issue - domain redirects to main losant.com site, not my experience. Have domain through Microsoft and setup CNAME records as shown below. SSL is not enabled.

I have added 3 losant domain configurations to try to get it to work:
*.mydomain.com
mydomain.com
www.mydomain.com

Any help is appreciated!

Hey @Edward_Cline, can you also drop a screenshot of the domain configuration in Losant. I’ll also open up a DM so you can provide me the actual domain name and we’ll do a query on our end.

here is the losant domain config…

Thanks for your help through DM Brandon, was stuck in the browser cache from some previous attempts. Cleared the cache and is working now.

Glad we got it figured out! We did determine that Losant is returning a 301 redirect, which is much more likely to be cached compared to alternatives (302 or 307). We’ll do some investigation on our side and see if that can be changed.