Could a device details in a workflow (triggered by device state) include parent deviceId

Hi

Exploring systems more.

They would seem to be a good way to manage contracts (multiple devices belong to a contract/project for a limited time) and the membership changes all of the time.

This would allow setting a single parent device (system) with tags representing contract numbers (and other project specific tags/attributes/values/etc) that I would normally set on each device currently involved with the project or use a datatable. (Again how do I find the specific data table entries shared by multiple devices without storing that key in each as a tag for each device member).

We have tended to create Losant projects for each project/contract, but this means managing multiple sets of workflows and we loose historical data when we move devices between projects.

However in a workflow its seems there is no way to query a parent device (system) using the get device node for the current device that is triggering the workflow.

So after that hastily typed rambling :wink: here is the feature request.

Could the device details in a workflow (triggered by device state) include parent deviceId if it exists?

This would allow logic to restrict/refine actions in the work flow based on the parent, which I think would be a great feature :wink:

Thanks

T

Hi @Tim_Hoffman,

I agree, the parentId would be quite valuable in the Device State Trigger, I will create a Feature Request for you and let you know should it be implemented. In the meantime, the parentId is accessible with the Device: Get Node.

In Losant’s current state, you would need just one more step to get this information. If you were to use a Device: Get Node to get the parentId for the device that just reported state, you could then use another Device: Get Node to get the parent system information. One of our engineers created an example with your use case in mind, and also exhibits how to access device sibling:

Please let me know if I can explain further!
Julia

1 Like

Hi Julia

Thanks, I hadn’t looked at the get node for the self (source of event) device.

That helps a lot,

T

1 Like

Hi Julia

In addition now that you have filters on the Device State such as attribute values it would be great to only match devices with a specific parent.

Thanks

Tim

Hi @Tim_Hoffman1,

I will be sure to add this to as a Feature Request and let you know should it ever be implemented.

Have a great day,
Julia