Hello Losant Community!
This is Aidan Zebertavage, Technical Evangelist for Losant, back again for the September edition of Losant Discussions!
Cloud computing and IoT have become inextricably linked over the past few years. Access to cloud computing has increased, thanks to the likes of Google, Amazon, and Microsoft, and the massive amounts of data generated by IoT applications has and will continue to expand and push the limits of Cloud infrastructure. Leveraging cloud computing solutions will be essential to the ongoing growth of the IoT industry.
Even with the relative importance of cloud computing to IoT applications, there are still questions when understanding the relationship between IoT and the cloud. This discussion’s goal is to help users answer those questions and misconceptions.
Today’s Topic: Cloud Computing & IoT
Some topics that I personally keep coming back to in my understanding of the cloud and its relationship with IoT and application enablement platforms (AEP):
- Why would I choose to develop an IoT application with an IoT specific AEP versus one of the major cloud providers? Is it a choice, or can we leverage both as complements to one another?
- What is the cost-benefit of leveraging the major cloud vendors? Does a cost-benefit exist? What about the opportunity cost of not leveraging the major cloud vendors?
- What are the major organizational and technical challenges enterprises face when developing with the cloud? What type of expertise do I need in house?
- When integrating between an enablement platform and a cloud provider, how do I assess functionality and determine which processes are performed in the cloud and which are performed in the platform?
- Do I always need to look to a major cloud vendor when thinking about data processing? What about edge compute—how does that lessen my reliance on the cloud?
- Thinking ahead to the future of IoT and cloud—what emerging technologies are coming in the next 3-5 years that are going to shift our current thinking around this model?
We are very excited to be able to partner with Skylytics on this month’s Losant discussions. With backgrounds in Cloud and IoT for nearly a decade , the Skylytics team has extensive experience with all major cloud vendors. Skylytics provides end-to-end IoT consulting and application development. They are also a Microsoft Gold partner. Their expertise and insight on hurdles they’ve faced when developing solutions leveraging the major cloud vendors will be extremely valuable to this discussion.
safercontact™ is a contract tracing solution developed by Skylytics using the Losant platform
Experts from Skylytics and Losant will be here to moderate the discussion and provide our users the insight and foundational knowledge they need. This is a huge topic, and an understanding of cloud computing is essential not only for IoT but across many technical disciplines - I’m thrilled to see where this discussion will lead us and what insights we will be able to take away and apply to our own organizations and projects.
We’re continuing our dive into the IoT Knowledge Stack. Last month we discussed the criteria for assessing hardware in the early stages of IoT application development, and next month we are going to focus on another fundamental component of the stack with our October Discussions on Connectivity!
See you in the chat below!