Error when cloning dashboards

Error when cloning dashboards

Hi @lucasbtsuchiya,

Would you be able to tell me what block you were attempting to clone when you received this error and what browser you were working in?

Thank you,
Heath

All platform blocks.
Browser: Google Chrome.

@lucasbtsuchiya I see the error you are talking about and am investigating now. I will reply when I have more info.

1 Like

We are working on a fix and expect it to be part of our next software release. The issue stems from the high number of dashboards you as a user has access to across all of your member organizations.

I can think of two workarounds until we have the fix in place:

1. If there is another member of your organization who is not a member of all the same organizations you are in, that user should be able to clone the block for you as the bug will not affect them.
  2. The clone block modal, behind the scenes uses the REST API to create the block cloning behavior as follows:
    1. Fetch the dashboard that contains the block you wish to clone (the “source”) using dashboard.get.
    2. In the blocks array in the response, find the block object you wish clone and save it to a local variable.
    3. Fetch the dashboard into which you wish to clone the block (the “destination”) using dashboard.get.
    4. Save the destination dashboard’s blocks array as a local variable and then push the cloning block into the array.
    5. Update the destination dashboard using dashboard.patch and including only the blocks property, with the updated array, in the request body.
1 Like

@Dylan_Schuster Thanks for the answer!

Did you already have a solution? We are still having trouble cloning blocks and impacting job productivity.

@lucasbtsuchiya we still expect the fix to go out with our next platform update, which should be a couple weeks from now. Were either of the workarounds I proposed enough to unblock you on this?

1 Like

The problem was solved. Thank you very much!

1 Like

The problem of cloning the blocks happened again. What could I do to resolve it?

The engineering team actually got a notice when you received this error, and they are going to take another crack at fixing it. It seems the previous resolution mitigated the problem some but did not resolve it completely.

I haven’t dug into your account to see how you are using these dashboards, but are you aware of our dashboard context feature? If you are creating a single dashboard per device, and that dashboard is a clone of the first but showing data for different devices / attributes, this feature would make the long-term management of those dashboards much easier.

@lucasbtsuchiya we’re pushing out another fix for this that should solve the problem once and for all.

It involves a slight behavior change to the “Clone Block” behavior. Previously, all of your dashboards were fetched and selectable within a single dropdown menu …

Moving forward, this will be a two-step process. First you will choose the owner organization (or your sandbox), and then the dashboard selector will present only dashboards owned by the chosen organization. By not attempting to fetch all dashboards you have access to in a single call, and just those scoped to the selected organization, you should not run into this problem again.

By tomorrow morning this fix should be out. Apologies again for the bug, and let us know if you have any other questions.