Edge Workflow Events

Hi!

Due to heavy use of Edge Workflows, I sometimes need to be made aware when something has gone sideways at the edge. The most efficien way for me to do this would be to use something like the Workflow Error trigger and an Create Event node…sadly there are no Event nodes in Edge Workflows. There are creative workarounds using the MQTT node to trigger a custom topic, which could trigger an app workflow, which could create the Event…but can we just create it directly? Please? :slight_smile:

Thank you!

FL

Hey @Frederick_Loucks,

This is a great feature request. I’ve created this for you on our side, and I will be sure to follow up with you as I learn more!

Thank you,
Heath

Dear @Heath ,

the “Event: Create” Node still not available in Edge Workflow.
Do you have recommendation or alternative?

Thanks,
Ruba

I would recommend using the MQTT Node to publish a message to the Losant broker on a custom MQTT topic. (Make sure the access key you are using to authenticate has permission to publish to that topic.)

Then, in an Application Workflow, I would use an MQTT Trigger that fires on messages to that same custom topic. From there, you can use the Event: Create Node to log your event.

While not as straightforward as sending a request to the Losant API directly from the edge device, there is a benefit to the approach I’ve suggested here: If your device goes offline, that custom MQTT message will be queued for publishing up to the cloud and will fire once the edge device re-establishes an Internet connection. That means you will still, eventually, record the event in your application.