Balena (resin.io)

I’m going through the “Deploying edge with resin.io” and got as far as getting the OS loaded on my Pi, and it shows up in the Balena device dashboard, but I’m a bit confused on how to load the losane edge agen. Do I just enter the device console and executo docker commands, or do I need to set up docker first?

You generally don’t have to interface directly with Docker when using Balena (resin.io). You will have to create a Dockerfile and then use git to push that to the repo that Balena created for you. I might recommending going through Balena’s entire getting started guide, which does include detailed steps for that process.

Their getting started guide is deploying a custom node app, which involves more steps than are required to deploy the Edge Agent, but it’s good info to have.

Since we already provide a Docker image for the Edge Agent, the entire Dockerfile you deploy using Balena is this:

FROM losant/edge-agent:latest-arm
EXPOSE 8080/tcp

This is essentially creating a new Docker image from our existing Edge Agent image. It then exposes port 8080 so you can interface with the webserver that’s built into the Edge Agent (this is optional).