Nothing showing up on the Serial monitor

Hello Mr. Cannaday,

Our next competition is coming up in 2 weeks! We installed the new board you sent and we are receiving an error;

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 7), Board: “Arduino Yún”

C:\losant\losant-kit-moisture-master\losant-kit-moisture\losant-kit-moisture.ino:12:25: fatal error: ESP8266WiFi.h: No such file or directory

#include <ESP8266WiFi.h>

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino Yún.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

We were wondering if we could just come to your office and work together with you or some of your other co-workers to build the sensor since we have such little time.

Thanks,
Brick Girls
Anya Mehta and Arushi Gupta
Coach: Bhavna Mehta

Looks like you sent the same message twice. I replied above. Please check the board that’s configured in the Arduino IDE. It should be set to “Generic ESP8266 Module”.

We still see the same thing as with the previous board:

Hi Remy,

Can you paste the snapshot of your basic Hello code?

Thanks,
Bhavna

Hi Bhavna_Mehta

I tested the baords with two configurations (the two pictures below) with Hello sketch.
-The first configuration, I managed to display “Hello” word but it remains a problem related to the configuration of the wifi (WIFI_SSID = “mini @”) of my old applications.
-the second configuartion that uses GenericESP8266module does not work

Windows 10
Arduino 1.8.0
ESP8266 2.4.0

Hello code:
void setup() {
Serial.begin(115200);
while(!Serial) { delay(100); }
}

void loop() {
Serial.println(“Hello!”);
delay(1000);
}

This one is related to the first configuration (see above)

@Remy

Hi, just as a test. Can you try using DOUT as the flash mode instead of QUO?

As I was testing out other devices, this seem to resolve this issue for me.

@anaptfox

Yes you are right.
thank you

Thank you Remy and Taron. We will try that later today too.

@anaptfox @Bhavna_Mehta

I used this configuration for the door opening detection application ( https://docs.losant.com/getting-started/losant-iot-dev-kits/door-sensor-kit/ ) but it does not work properly !!!

Yes :rofl::sunglasses::grinning:, everything works correctly with the configuration shown in the figure below

Hi, Thanks to Taron Foxworth’s help we were able to get the moisture sensor to work. We would like to demo the sensor connected to a hotspot while it shows the dashboard on a phone. We changed the wifi settings to the hotspot but somehow the sensor still needs to be connected to a computer via USB to transmit values to LOSANT.

Also, we are trying to flash the code to a different MCU and are getting the following error:
Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 7), Board: “Generic ESP8266 Module, 80 MHz, 40MHz, DIO, 115200, 512K (64K SPIFFS), ck, Disabled, None”

Archiving built core (caching) in: C:\Users\mehtb1\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_720532\core\core_esp8266_esp8266_generic_CpuFrequency_80,FlashFreq_40,FlashMode_dio,UploadSpeed_115200,FlashSize_512K64,ResetMethod_ck,Debug_Disabled,DebugLevel_None_____49786d67e89a1b4c62c7f2194357454d.a
Sketch uses 292361 bytes (67%) of program storage space. Maximum is 434160 bytes.
Global variables use 39576 bytes (48%) of dynamic memory, leaving 42344 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 81920 bytes.
error: failed reading byte
warning: espcomm_send_command: cant receive slip payload data
warning: espcomm_sync failed
error: espcomm_open failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Thanks,
Bhavna

I think I have my answer to the first part of the question - does the USB cable power the sensor? We will try a portable USB power supply.

Thanks,
Bhavna

@Bhavna_Mehta

Yes. The USB powers the NodeMCU. So, it doesn’t need to be powered by a laptop. I can also be powered by a power bank or a wall usb plug.