Is it possible to pull temperature data from my Google Nest thermostat?

I’m trying to pull data from my Nest thermostats, I have a vacation home that I need to know when the temperature drops beneath 55 degrees F and would like to have it send myself and my maintenance company a text stating that the heater isn’t working. This is in an area that freezes frequently so it is important to address it quickly. I looked into the Nest API and think i have the correct API pull but i get a unauthorized response in debug. Was wondering if anyone else was able to make this work. I’m not sure that Google will allow this to happen, I entered my credentials however it still didn’t allow access. Has anyone been able to make this work?

Hi @John_Lapham,

I do not know of anyone specifically who has done this, but should I stumble upon them I will reach out and ask for some specifics! :smile:

When you say you “entered your credentials and it still didn’t allow access,” could you give some insight as to where this is happening? Could you also link the API call you are utilizing so I can look into it further?

Thanks!
Julia

https://developer-api.nest.com/devices/thermostats/02AA01RC20160085/ambient_temperature_f

Thanks for assisting

Hi @John_Lapham,

I just have a couple of additional clarifying questions, since I am familiarizing myself with your use case. I just want to confirm that you’re using an API that is still supported, as the Works with Nest API has been retired. Are you currently using credentials created prior to August 2019 (a non-migrated Nest account)? Or have you moved to the Google Assistant approach for this?

It looks as though there are some future plans for a new API coming this year as well.

Thanks!
Julia