Image Overlay Block: Image URL using device attribute

I’d like to be able to have the option of selecting the image URL using either a string or blob attribute from a device. I’m trying to solve the problem of showing the current floor plan a device is located at specific points in time. So if the device is on Floor 1 now, if I set the time to 60 mins ago it will change the image to show the device is on Floor 2.

Hello @steen_cummings1,

I just want to make sure that I understand your use case correctly. You’re looking to dynamically update the image in an Image Overlay Dashboard Block based on a devices current location, and you would like to be able to update the image URL via a device attribute, correct?

I’ll make a feature request with out engineering team for this, and I will be sure to reach out to you as I learn more about it!

Thank you,
Heath

@steen_cummings1,

If you’re working with Device Context, you can use a context variable in the Image URL for that block, and update the URL from a device tag:

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Heath

Thanks heath. Originally I was using the context variables for the image so it could be dynamic. If I use device context, are the tags’ state stored as timeseries like attributes? So if I was to set the dashboard time’s current time to 30 minutes prior, it will use the device tags at that point in time (and not the latest tags)?

Hi @steen_cummings1,

are the tags’ state stored as timeseries like attributes? So if I was to set the dashboard time’s current time to 30 minutes prior, it will use the device tags at that point in time (and not the latest tags)?

Ah, this is a good point. Tags are not stored as time-series data, and you would not be able to go back 30 minutes prior and see the last Tag value without keeping some record of previous tags.

I did make this a feature request, though. So I will be sure to update you with anything I learn!

Thank you,
Heath