Data Tables & Time Series Data

The way “Tables” are structured and how I understand them, they are meant more for non-time series data. If I am looking to test “time series” data how do I look at data flow easily? The time series (All Data) table is not UI friendly. Is it bad practice to write data (time series nature) from devices to tables?

Also going along with the “writing time series data to tables”, is there a way to delete multiple rows of data from a table at one time? As opposed to deleting the table and recreating, or clicking through individual rows to delete them.

1 Like

Hi @Cole_Hunter,

Welcome to the Losant Forums! On your Time Series question, when you say “how do I look at the data flow easily,” what is it that you mean? Are you hoping to visualize the data on a graph or view it live as it is reported, or are you just hoping to store it?

For your second question, there is a way to delete multiple data table entries at a time, but it is handled in a workflow. The Table: Delete Rows Node allows you to delete one or multiple rows from a table by querying. This could be a simple workflow with a Virtual Button Trigger, followed by a Table: Delete Rows Node, and finally a Debug Node.

Thanks!
Julia

@Cole_Hunter-

I should clarify, we do not recommend putting Time Series data in Data Tables, there is a nice list here of when to use and not use Data Tables. My question prior is to help me suggest the correct path for your use case :smile:

Thanks!
Julia

Yea, I understand not putting time series data into data tables. So I am assuming the suggestion then would be notebooks or a workflow that takes the time series data and generates the output I want. I am having a hard time articulating this in general terms because I have a specific use case that I am thinking of. Basically, if I want time series data in tabular form, (or for a use case outside of the Losant platform, say Tableau dashboard) I am going to have to use a workflow or a notebook to query the time series data and create that table and then send myself that data. Even though I could side step the time series db, and have the device write straight to a table (which was the form I wanted the data in anyway).

Hi @Cole_Hunter,

Yes, you are right. Those are really the only two ways (notebooks or a workflow that takes the time series data) you can pull and view custom time series data. But, I think what you’re talking about here could be a cool feature. So, I’ll make a ticket within our system about it.